Promotion of alternative to chemical fertilizer (Bangladesh)

Promotion of alternative to chemical fertilizer (Bangladesh)

MTCP2 Bangladesh is promoting vermicompost, a cost-effective and eco-friendly alternative to chemical fertilizers. About 220 farmers are now producing vermicompost and they are running their plants as a business and a source of alternative livelihood options. With the support of MTCP2, COAST Trust is providing training and organizing farmers group and supporting them in marketing their products. Bangladesh agriculture needs about 3375.52 thousand metric tons of fertilizer every year, but only about 87% of the total fertilizer demand of the country is fulfilled. Local manufacturers provide 77% and the remaining 23% is imported from abroad. Bangladesh does not have any possibility to increase its land area, thus, to increase food production, Bangladesh heavily depends on irrigation facilities, together with HYV and greater use of fertilizer. Other inputs like pesticides are also playing a vital role. However, there are huge concerns over the environmental problems resulting from the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides etc. Vermicompost can be one effective solution! (Update and photos from Mujibul Munir of COAST BD/MTCP2 Bangladesh)

Comments are closed.